Subject: mercenary warrior
Culture: tribal Congolese = Mongo, Ngombe, others
Setting: Congo late 19th-early 20thc
Object: ngala sword
* International Museum of Cultures
"HOOKED KNIFE 'NGOLO' KNIFE
USED FOR DAILY PROTECTION"
* Palace of Wax > Ripley's Believe It or Not!
"CONGOLESE EXECUTIONER'S AXE Native executioners once used this fearsome looking weapon. A criminal or captured enemy was tied to a bent tree sapling by his feet, with his head and hands staked to the ground. He was then decapitated using the inside curved part of the blade, which released the body like a catapult to swing back and forth from the tree."
* Museum of Fine Arts > Africa
"Prestige weapon Unidentified artist or workshop
Ngombe and neighboring peoples, Democratic Republic of the Congo Mid-20th century Iron, wood" ...
* Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art > Weapons and Warriors: The Art of Armaments
wood, metal" ...
* Higgins Armory Museum > Scimitars to Samurai
"Ngulu (ceremonial sword), 1800s-early 1900s Probably Ngombe, Doko, or Iboko people
Engraved iron; wood; brass; copper; leather Weight 1 lb. 6 oz. ...
* Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology > Arts of War