* College of William and Mary > Marshall-Wythe School of Law > Library
"The Marshall-Wythe Mace ca. 1850-1855 The Marshall-Wythe Mace is carried each year at graduation by the President of the Student Bar Association. Donated to the Law School in the mid 1970's, the mace is a copy of the Mace in the British House of Commons.
"The shaft of the mace consists of one short and two long sections throughout, with longitudinal branches from which spring roses and thistle flowers. The head is divided into four panels containing respectively a crowned rose, a thistle, a harp and a fleur-de-lis. The head is surmounted by a Royal Crown with orb and cross. On the cap are the Royal Arms with the garter supported by a crowned lion and unicorn, with the motto Dieu et mon droit and the initials C. R.
"The British have 11 such maces which were wrought during the reign of William and Mary, with the Georgian Coat-of-Arms re-imposed later. Two of these are in the House of Lords, one is in the House of Commons and the rest are in the Tower of London. The British maces, which are the Monarch[']s personal property, are lent to the Houses of Parliament as emblems of her authority."
Glasgow University > Hunterian Museum *
"The University Mace Replica The Gothic silver mace, made in 1465, perhaps in France, is one of the University's greatest treasures. In 1560, at the time of the Reformation, it was taken to Paris for safekeeping, but was returned in 1590. The small shields held by angels bear the arms of Scotland, of the City of Glasgow, of Bishop Turnbull (who founded the University), of Lord Hamilton (the first benefactor) and the Earl of Morton (Regent of Scotland at the time of the University's 'refoundation' in 1577). Symbolic of the University's corporate dignity, the mace is still carried by the Univeristy bedellus at the head of the academic procession on ceremonial occasions and at graduations.
"This replica was made in 1986 by the late Gordon Johnston[.]"